04 Jun Blue-Green Algae and Cleansing
A simple way to detox your body is with a Blue-Green Algae fast.
What is it and how does it detoxify your system?
Blue-Green Algae (BGA) is a group of simple aqueous plant organisms that contain many health-giving compounds. It is also a perfect protein, so much so that the astronauts use it as their protein source in space. BGA also contains iron, B vitamins, amino acids, γ-linolenic acid (GLA), fibers, B vitamins, calcium, phosphorous, iron, pigments such as β-carotene, xanthophylls, and chlorophyll, and other bioactive compounds that encourage blood cell formation. Recent studies are showing that BGAs have antiviral, antitumor, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiallergic, antidiabetic, and antibacterial properties as well as lipid-lowering effects. The inhibitory effects of BGA on hyperlipidemia, inflammation, and oxidative stress can contribute to the prevention of the development of CVD and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) due to compounds contained in BGAs that encourage healthier levels of cholesterol, triglycerides, and insulin sensitivity by there action in modulating activity in the gut which also reduces inflammation. BGA helps the body recover from cardiovascular disease and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, which are largely due to lifestyle choices. This suggests that when given proper nutritional support organ function can return to normal. Examples of how BGAs can help:
- Allergies: Early research shows that ingesting 2000 mg of blue-green algae for 6 months relieves allergy symptoms in adults.
- Arsenic poisoning: Early research shows that taking a combination of blue-green algae and zinc for 12 weeks reduces arsenic levels and its effects on the skin in people living in areas with high arsenic levels in the drinking water.
- Other toxic substances like heavy metals can be excreted out of the body with BGAs in the same manner arsenic is removed. The toxins bind to the chlorella and safely leave the body through the stool.
- BGAs are a popular treatment for people recovering from chemotherapy and radiation treatments.
Dosing and length of time you should take BGAs for any given condition in combination with other supplements should be determined with Dr. Hackett. She can go over your health concerns in detail, no detail is too small, to help you get better faster.
Things to consider before taking BGAs:
- Immunosuppressant drugs interact with BGAs.
- Blue-green algae may stimulate the non-specific immune system. This in turn might decrease the effectiveness of medications that suppress the immune system.
- Phenylketonuria: The spirulina species of blue-green algae contains the chemical phenylalanine and may aggravate phenylketonuria. It would be prudent to avoid the Spirulina species blue-green algae products if you have phenylketonuria.
For more information on how BGAs can help you set up a consultation with Dr. Hackett. Want to learn more? Recent Research